Monday, May 10, 2010

May 9--Mother's Day 2010

This was one of my favorite Mother's Day ever...

It started off with Jon's famous orange scones, omelettes, and coffee for breakfast accompanied with a new gold chain necklace for my cross and new silver hoop earrings with pink pearls. I was also the lucky recipient of Luke's homemade photo frame and hemp necklace with cute beads that he made at school.

Then it was off to church where my sermon went off without a hitch. I actually got some nice compliments. A couple of people said I missed my calling as a preacher. I didn't really take them seriously until Jon mentioned that that thought crossed his mind while I was speaking. Hmm, a seed has been planted. Masters in Nursing or Divinity. It won't be answered right away and will require a great deal of prayer. My favorite quote I used for the sermon is taken from Dante's Divine Comedy. He writes that God is "el amor che move il sole e l'altra stelle"--the love that moves the sun and other stars. I'm quite confident He'll lead me down the right path.

But the best part was heading up to DC with the family for the day. We ate lunch at 2Amy's in NW DC, close to the National Cathedral. Yummy neapolitan pizzas made from fresh dough that was chewy and crispy, topped with fresh arugula, authentic salami, or crispy pepperoni and glued together with ooey-gooey cheese. Jon has since mentioned that he would rather eat at 2Amy's instead of Ben's Chili Bowl. For someone who loves his chilidogs, that's saying something.

Afterwards, we headed over to the National Mall to take advantage of the sunshine and wind for the inaugural flight of Luke's Blue Angel kite. We may have had a a few crashes here and there (one right in the middle of a very understanding group of people) but it was a beautiful day to be in the shadow of the Washington Monument, with views of the World War II Memorial, the Reflecting Pool and Lincoln Memorial.

It was pretty low-key after that. Since it was "my day" as Jon insisted, I browsed around Barnes and Noble. There is something so calming to me about being surrounded by books and music, even if I don't buy anything. It's like yoga for my brain--it wants to be surrounded by books. Cookbooks, poetry, fiction, gardening--I just crave books. So a good bookstore is just like heaven on earth to me.

Dinner and groceries at Whole Foods. Nothing spectacular there. But there is a satisfying serenity to having spent a good day with my family. My heart felt light and my spirit was content doing simple things with my extraordinary family. To me it was a nice Sunday afternoon that just happened to be Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment