Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Small blessings...

Have you ever watched your child chase a butterfly? It is the simplest joy I have found, right up there with a child's laugh. Luke was helping Jon dig a ditch in our yard on Saturday and I pointed out a butterfly flying over the ditch. He started running after it, giddy with delight, looking back at us with the biggest smile on his face. It was a true high point of the day.

And then, the next day, we were getting ready for church. We always put Vivi in a dress, it can't be helped. She just looks so adorable in a dress and church is the perfect excuse to put her in one. But Luke insisted on wearing his "suit"--a tie and a navy blue jacket I found for him. I can't even describe it well enough to do it justice. I believe the photos will say it all.

This past weekend just reminded me how joyful my life is and how much my children contribute to that. Children approach life full of love in their hearts and embrace all aspects of it. Luke will just laugh at anything. And he is such a loving child. After I had already kissed both kids on my way out today, Luke raced out the front door because, as he said, "I wanted to give you one more kiss." Luke also notices all the details. Today, I was dressing Vivi in a bright playdress and Luke said "Mommy, Vivi is very beautiful today."

And Vivi is beautiful. Well, Vivi was appropriately named--her name is associated with the word "alive". Her giggles just melt your heart despite her very diva-esque qualities. If she's not happy, she lets you know and won't stop wailing until she gets what she wants, which is usually to be held. In sixteen years, she probably won't want to be seen with me. So I'm going to hold my little girl for as long as she'll let me.

God has truly blessed us with such beautiful children. I really have to be more mindful of that. Our time on earth is finite and we never know when He will call any of us back home. So this past weekend, I was reminded to live in the moment--my children are healthy, beautiful, and full of life. I see God in them and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment